Some things I don't know:
1. much about geography.
2. why contestants on The Bachelor always say after 13 minutes that there's a "connection."
3. how I managed to pass Chemistry in college.
What I do know:
My little mice are growing up too quickly. My mom gave us the book "Love You Forever" and at the risk of offending a large number of mothers and Robert M himself, I really think it's kind of a weird story. At least the last part. If you're not familiar, here's the Mommy Mouse Cliff Notes version:
A mommy rocks her new baby and sings a sweet little song that as long as she's alive, he will be her baby. (I totally get that part.) So as the baby grows, the mommy goes into his room- even as a teenager and "if he's really asleep," she picks him up and rocks him and sings the song. Ok, so he's finally a grown up and he has his own house and sometimes the mom straps a ladder to her car, performs a little B&E and rocks her grown son- who sleeps in a twin bed, I might add, singing the song. So one day, the son gets a call that his sweet mommy is old & sick, so he goes to her house and rocks her singing the song. When he goes home, he picks up his new baby daughter and sings her the song.
It really is a sweet story, but I just can't help but imagine my mother-in-law coming over to our house in the middle of the night and letting herself in and getting DM out of the bed to rock him. He's practically 6' tall. Something about that is just mildly disturbing to me. I said mildly. I know you are ready to stone me. Anyway, BigM has requested we read that book every night since Christmas and tonight has been the first night I have been able to read it to her without crying.
LM is getting ready to crawl. She's just about got it down, at least the getting up on all fours part. Actually propelling herself forward- not there yet but I bet she'll be mobile in the next week. And she's getting teeth! I cannot believe it! (And I'm dreading her biting me while nursing!) Last time I checked, I had a newborn baby (and actually, it was BigM.) Who is this adorable baby scooting around on the floor?
Before I know it, that baby will be 3 1/2 feet tall saying things like, "Mommy, I wuv you. Tank you for tooking supper." (And then my mice will be staying stuff like, "Mo-om, you're so lame. And I'm not eating this." To which I will gladly reply, "This is not a restuarant, there is not a menu.") Speaking of supper, DM has been out of town for the past week or so, and it's been crazy around here. Insane, lock-me-up-in-a-straight-jacket crazy. But when BigM said, "Mommy, wet's eat dinner under da table tonight," I shrugged my shoulders and told her that was a great idea. How can you say no to that? (Besides, we could never do that when DM is here, remember, he's almost 6' tall!) So there we were, eating breakfast for dinner, on a picnic blanket under our kitchen table.
I also know I bawl my eyes out everytime I hear the song, "Cinderella" that Stephen Curtis Chapman sings. I cannot even discuss my little mice starting kindergarten, much less going off and getting married. My heart just breaks inside. (Maybe I will need a little bit of that teenager attitude to make me want them to leave.) I always knew I wanted to be a SAHM and now that I actually have the family to stay home with, it's even better than I could have ever imagined.
So I'll "dance with Cinderella, while she is here in my arms.
'Cause I know something the prince never knew.
And I'll dance with Cinderella,
I don't want to miss even one song.
Cause all too soon,
the clock will strike midnight and she'll be gone."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Jac, I feel the same way. I look at C every day and wonder how he got so big. People always told me to enjoy it because they grow up so fast. I thought it was a cliche but have been proven wrong!
I just read all of your most recent posts, and I have to say that you're hilarious! I love all of your stories...especially the one about the rat. The kids were wondering what in the world I was laughing about. :)
Post a Comment