5.10.2009

Don't Look Back...

After 27 years of school, DM (that stands for DOCTOR Mouse now!) graduated from Dental School on Friday. I remember sometime around his first day of school (Dental school, not kindergarten, we did not know each other then) thinking, "I cannot believe when this is all over I will have a three-year old, and when am I going to stop throwing up, this morning sickness is killing me?!?!?!?!?" It's incredibly surreal to think he's not leaving on Monday morning to head back to our old town. I've been doing the "single mom" thing for the last eight weeks and I have to tell you, it stinks. My hats off to all the single moms out there, you really do deserve the Mother of the Year trophy, even if your kids eat Donald's for every meal and they only get a bath once a week. (Seeing as that's about how we've been living lately... I'm kidding. Really. Don't go calling CPS on me.)

Seeing as we don't get back to the old town much anymore, I scheduled BigM's 3 year old check up for this past Thursday, at 2 pm. We rolled into town around 1:25, which gave me an odd window of time- not quite enough time to run an errand but too much to sit in the car with 2 cranky kids in the office parking lot. I opted for #1- an errand to get DM a graduation card and to let BigM potty before her appointment. (Did I mention she is fully potty trained? Woohoo, way to go BigM!) So we head to Target for said potty trip and said card- all to be accomplished in less than 10 minutes. Wish me luck, right? After BigM successfully tee-tees AND poops on the potty, we realize it won't flush. For a child who lives and breathes by the post- potty routine, this is very disturbing. (Did I also mention I am wearing LM in the Baby Bjorn, so how exactly am I supposed to pick up BigM to let her wash her hands? Those people NEED to put stools in public bathrooms.) After alerting management that there is a BigM sized poo in the second stall of the ladies restroom, we zoom over to the card section.

Really, I wish I could have put some thought and effort into picking out the perfect meaningful card with a heartfelt message to truly express my thoughts and feelings of gratitude and excitement to commemorate this once in a lifetime experience for my dear husband. But instead, I grab the musical card that belts out "We gotta get outta this place, if it's the last thing we ever do..." Seriously, I have no shame. The irony only gets better as BigM opens and shuts is repeatedly, singing "We gotta get Adam to play," a shout-out to DM's best friend, also a dental student.

The best part? We head on over to the pediatrician's office and the only, literally, the only words that come out of BigM's mouth the entire appointment are when she looks at her doctor and says, "I have to tell you somefing." He (being the great ped that he is) replies earnestly, "What?" She sings, without missing a beat...

"We gotta get Adam to play."

Really, she said that. (And yes, this is the same pediatrician I mentioned previously who currently and correctly thinks I am looney tunes...) I did explain, but I'm not exactly sure it helped.

Regardless, I am so very proud of DM and I can't wait to start paying off those student loans. Oh and, yes, you can refer to me as Mrs. Doctor Daddy Mouse.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Congratulations to DM and to you!!! We were thinking about you all last Friday during graduation while we were at the beach. We occasionally drive by your town on the interstate on the way to my grandmothers house. We'll have to plan ahead and stop in to see you sometime. :)

Mommy Mouse: said...

Please do, we'd love to see you guys! Any time! I know the big one would LOVE to see you guys (and so would I, of course!)

Thanks for the congrats. We're so excited. (We were at the beach last year at graduation too!)