2.18.2009

I'm Lovin' It.

Actually, I'm not loving it. I have always despised McDonald's and my dislike just grows and grows as each day passes.

For many reasons, the Mouse Family doesn't get to eat out much. (Mostly budget constraints, but everyone knows it's healthier to cook in and I love to cook anyway. I know, digressing again.) Back in early September, DM's parents came to spend the night, arriving a little after supper time. (In the south, dinner = lunch and supper = dinner.) We had already eaten, but we promised BigM she could stay up and wait for Lolli and Pop. Pop had stopped at McDonald's on the way and ended up with 2 extra regular cheeseburgers. (I don't ask, they don't tell me.) Despite my best efforts to feed my mouse healthy balanced meals, I have no problem letting her eat junk with the grandparents. So BigM got her first taste of a fast food hamburger. (I took pictures, really. It was that big of a deal to me.) Pop ate her pickles, and when BigM gets her mind on something, boy does it stick. She would ask me weeks later, "Did Pop take my pictle?" (Yes, he did.) "Dat wudden bery nice of him, was it?" (No, but you didn't want them anyway.) So needless to say, like any regular human, this kid loved that cheeseburger.

Fastforward a few weeks, I think I was subbing an aerobics class at the gym and most of the time the way this works is I bring the kids to the gym (across from his school) and he gets in the car and takes them back home and I find his car in the ginormous parking lot and eventually make it home after class. Well, this particular night, DM decided to stop at McDonald's for BigM's very first Happy Meal. The highlight, of course, being the toy. That week's theme, something ridiculous like, "Barbie around the World" so we are now the proud owners of a 4" tall toothpick-skinny-half-clothed Barbie (I guess) named Theresa, from Rio deJanero (aka "Reesa.") (We are also the proud owners of at least fourteen different colored My Little Ponys, an assortment of plastic Ronalds in various mobiles, some fuzzy clip on hearts for your shoes and a very weird and downright scary stuffed dog, all from "Donald's." But this particular story is about Reesa.)

Reesa has knocked Bobo (the monkey) and Babydoll and Baby (I told you, we're creative with names around here) out of the prime sleeping spot (under BigM's arm.) We have to take Reesa EVERYWHERE with us, to the park, on our daily jog, to the kitchen, to the bathroom (not to the potty, mind you) and of course, to school. However, toys from home are strongly discouraged, so I told BigM she could bring Reesa inside, but Reesa had to stay in her bag. BigM knew the drill so she didn't argue. And that was the last I saw of Reesa.

BigM was heartbroken, so DM and I fabricated this story that Reesa was homesick, so she went on vaca back home to Rio and we were just positive she would return soon (aka when we moved. I thought she was maybe in the car. I knew we hadn't lost her, I'm not that lucky.) And as she tends to do, over the last 5 months, BigM would frequently ask me, "Reesa till on vatation?" or tell the lady ringing up our groceries, "I wost Reesa but Mommy taid she was on vatation."

Well, let me just tell you. I stopped jogging back in October when a cold snap went through- I just couldn't imagine getting the girls out early in the morning in the freezing cold (really, I just couldn't imagine getting me out early in the morning in the freezing cold) so I haven't been jogging since then. DM is very unhappy about that as we spent a small fortune on the BOB jogging stroller I just had to have (and I stand by my love for it. I'd trade it for my car. It's that awesome.) Well, the weather was just beautiful a few days ago... (it was in the 50s but it LOOKED warm outside, boy was I fooled.) So I told BigM we could go on the jogging trail and she could walk while I pushed LM in the double jogging stroller. Guess who was waiting for me when I popped that sucker open? REESA! SHE CAME BACK FROM VACATION!

We're back to our old tricks. Reesa has gone everywhere with us and she has reclaimed the coveted position in BigM's crib, right under her arm. I made the mistake of leaving her in the rocking chair tonight and about 45 mins after BigM had gone to sleep, she woke up hysterical, crying and screaming, "I WANT REESA, MOMMMMMMMMMMYYYY, WHERE IS REESA? I NEED HER!!! TOME FINE HER, MOMMEEEEEEEEEEYYYYY." So I retrieve her and remind BigM that if Reesa happens to fall out of her crib while she's asleep, it's only because Reesa likes to sleep on the floor sometimes and she shouldn't get upset and wake her (meaning me) up during the night. Her response, "She does? O-tay, Mama."

When do they stop believing everything you tell them? Don't tell me, I don't want to know.

3 comments:

Jaclyn and Devan Swallom said...

NOT REESA!

Laura said...

That's hilarious! I'm with you on McDonalds. Kind of gross. Except for the fries. I know they're awful for me, but they do taste really good. Oh, and the ice cream isn't too bad either. :)

T Mc Q said...

All this week while we were visiting my mom kept telling Talia stories that began with "Just wait until you come to McDonald's with Grammie! Grammie will get you a ...." Can't wait to have our very own Reesa to lose....