I very rarely call my kids by their real names, unless they are doing something that requires the "full name-shout out." (In which case, BigM knows she better straighten up. She doesn't always do it, but she recognizes that she should...)
So some of their other nicknames (other than Big Mouse and Little Mouse) are Sugar, Sweet Pea, Boo-boo, the Big One and the Little One and various variations of their real names. (No, their birth certs don't actually say Big Mouse and Little Mouse.) And BigM has given LM her very own special name that no one else can call her. (We do anyway, but it's "her" special name for her little sister.)
The current nicknames came from BigM... she's Mustard, I'm Ketchup and LM is Pickle. I got some very strange looks at the park yesterday when she kept yelling, "Kehchup, wook ah me, Kehchup! Say, 'Watcha doin, Mustard?!!'" and of course I would respond, "Whatcha doing, Mustard?" (No wonder none of the other mommies tried to make friends!)
I think these names are going to stick because last night at supper, when LM was fussing because apparently we don't put the rice cereal in her mouth fast enough- BigM said, "Wassa madder, Pickle?" DM just shook his head. It wasn't really worth explaining.
We're about to leave for BigM's last day of school before we move. I think I'll be sad a little (later, right now we're just late)- she doesn't know she will see her friends for the last time today, and in all honesty, I don't remember any of my friends from preschool. I doubt she'll be crushed, and she might not even notice. But I will, and I'm a little sad about closing this chapter of her life. I'm taking the camera to school today. And if it's not illegal, I plan on taking pictures of all her friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment