If you haven't figured out by now, BigM loves to sing. I'm about to lose all my cool points here, but part of the reason she knows the words (although mostly incorrect) to a ton of songs is because the only thing we listen to in the car is "Toddler Action Songs." (You know when people ask you, "What's in your cd player- right now?" Most people get to name some obscure cool band, or at least something current. Not me, the answer is always "Toddler Action Songs." Hence my forfeiture of my cool points. When I tell you we're going to buy a minivan, I hereby commit myself to wearing pleated mom jeans.)
One of BigM's favorite songs is "You Gotta Sing." Here are the lyrics, in case you are not familiar:
"You gotta [sing] when the Spirit says [sing],
You gotta [sing] when the Spirit says [sing],
You gotta [sing] when the Spirit says [sing],
And obey the Spirit of the Lord."
This song repeats itself with the following words replacing [sing], in order: shout, pray, preach (or spreach, if you're BigM), sing (yes, again.) BigM will, at any given moment, sing this song for whoever will listen (including, but not limited to, grandparents, great-grandparents and the cashier at the grocery store.) At the end of each verse, they believe the song to be over and she starts it again. And again. And again.
Today, which was not unlike any other day, we were driving home from Lolli's house so I asked BigM what she wanted for lunch. Her response? "Flies." (I am to assume you are no longer a little mouse, but a frog? Correct. Score one for Mom.) I always indulge her fantasies, as I think it encourages creativity. Besides, it could be fun to be the mother of a frog for awhile. We agreed that "flies on a log" would be a delicious lunch for a frog (kind of like ants on a log, but seeing as I don't keep celery in the house, I planned to replace the celery with a banana. Yum.)
The next thing I know, she's singing along to the music and I hear her say, "You gotta Ribbit when the Spirit says Ribbit..."
I kid you not. BigM is hilarious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
She gets it from her Mom!! Once again, you made me laugh. The next time I'm having a "wough time", as Esther calls it, I'm going to come read through your blog archives so that I have something to laugh about. :)
Post a Comment